Saturday, December 25, 2010

I'm Ba-a-a-ck

I lost a few months here, in the adjustment to being back in school, but now I'm back here, back to myself again, and happy to be here.

This is a sketch I started during one of my classes (Intro to Addictions). It has been many, many years, perhaps even decades, since I enjoyed the simple pleasure of sketching from observation with a pencil. This was a solid graphite pencil, so it was very soft and responsive to the subtlest pressure.

I found myself getting very involved with every single line in my skin, which there are many more of these days. My fingernails are full of ridges and flaws beyond repair. As I noticed each detail and recorded it, I accepted it without thought: just another detail of me.

I enjoyed being with all my imperfections, and I like this drawing, exactly as it is. I am not going to complete it. It is perfect as it is: imperfect me, now, in the process of life and aging.

5 comments:

  1. Glad you are back! You have been missed...imperfections and all!!! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE your drawing and it's incompletion, I always rather see a suggestion of a world rather than a whole world that's lost its mystery. I love the way you write, your thought world is so similar to mine...I see it again and again...it's almost scary...NOT! Welcome back Arlene, I wish you didn't dissapear for so long..but I do understand. Happy and creative 2011 to you loveable Arlene...XOXOrly

    ReplyDelete
  3. you've SINGLE-HANDEDLY elevated 'doodling during class'. always love your reflections and honesty. xoxoxpow

    ReplyDelete
  4. When will you be baaaaack again dear Arlene, how are you doing? I'd love to see some "elevated" doodling during class.
    XOXOrly

    ReplyDelete